As you tilt your knees from side to side, you gently twist the lower back. This reduces tension in that region.
- Bend your knees and place your feet on the mat. Lean back on your elbows. This is the starting position (a).
- Tilt your knees to the left (b).
- Return to the starting position.
- Now tilt your knees to the right.
- And return to the starting position.
Repeat steps 2-5 as many times as you like. Move at a relaxed pace. You don’t have to synchronize the movement with the breath. Don’t worry about whether you get your knees on the ground or not. That’s not the point in this exercise, it’s about gently twisting the lower back.
This exercise loosens up the lower back. It also massages the organs in the abdomen (because of the gentle twisting motion of the lower trunk.)