While sitting in a straddle position, you are making a side bend. A regular performance of side bends keeps the spine supple.
- Sit in a straddle position on your mat. Keep your legs relaxed, allow them to roll outward. Interlace your fingers behind your head (a). Inhale.
- Exhale and bend your torso to the left (b).
- Inhale and come back up to vertical (a).
- Exhale and bend to the right.
- Inhale, come back up.
Repeat this several times to both sides. If you want to, you can hold the position for a few breaths the last time.
- If your pelvis tilts backwards, sit on a cushion or folded blanket for support.
- Press both sitz bones firmly into the floor. (though, you’ll notice that your bodyweight rests mainly on the sitz bone at the side you’re bending to. Key point is that both sitz bones are in touch with the floor during the whole exercise.)